Monday, February 10, 2014

Climate change and the future of the Winter Olympics

It's Winter Olympics time and, like many people, I'm spending way more time watching the Games than I ought to. But hey, it only happens once every four years, and some of the sports I enjoy watching most (e.g. x-country skiing) don't get televised very often. As a result, I haven't had time to write a blog posting. However, last week the WLU media department got me out on an outdoor rink to talk about how climate change might affect the Winter Olympics in the future. The result is this short YouTube video. Apart from the wind howling in the background, my only complaint about the video is that they cut out my reference to Gaetan Boucher, a Canadian long track speed skater who won a silver medal at the 1980 Lake Placid Games, and two golds at the 1984 Sarajevo Games. He was my favourite Winter Olympian back then.

No comments: